It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Streaming Saturday matches next season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:50 pm 

I've been reading the various Board reports over the last months, and from what I can gather, there are various bits of information on the screening of games that may affect our (ie the "AA's") viewing and listening habits.

These are:
a) The FA rule out screening live Saturday games at 3pm. They will permit live screening of games that kick off later on Saturday, at 5-30pm;
b) If a Saturday match is played at 3pm, we may hope to listen to it on an FCUM radio broadcast (assuming they will broadcast);
c) "...the Northern Premier League have confirmed that we can move kick-off times to 5.30pm to
facilitate live streaming of matches if we prefer, but it is unlikely if our ground capacity is set
around the 1,300 mark that we would seek to do so."
d) I am presuming midweek games may be broadcast live.
e) It is unclear whether revenue from streaming has to be shared with the visiting club

My comments on the above are:
a) Our FA Trophy and FA Cup games have had significantly lower home attendances in recent seasons, so perhaps there is good reason (including the additional funds raised) to experiment with live Saturday streaming, by taking advantage of a later kickoff at 5-30pm;
b) I am far less interested in watching a delayed screened game on a Saturday at 5-30pm, if I have already listened to it on FCUM radio. So if this is others' reactions in the AA, is this perhaps an additional reason to experiment with a later kick off on a Saturday? The Board report refers to up to 2,000 capacity to view broadcasts so assuming streaming some Saturday games at 5-30pm is a goer, it seems there are no technological limitations.
c) It sounds like the club may need to invest some funds for the technology used for streaming. Is this something we, as the AA, might collectively contribute to?

Thoughts?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Streaming Saturday matches next season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:00 pm 

jdkfcuom wrote:
I've been reading the various Board reports over the last months, and from what I can gather, there are various bits of information on the screening of games that may affect our (ie the "AA's") viewing and listening habits.

These are:
a) The FA rule out screening live Saturday games at 3pm. They will permit live screening of games that kick off later on Saturday, at 5-30pm;
b) If a Saturday match is played at 3pm, we may hope to listen to it on an FCUM radio broadcast (assuming they will broadcast);
c) "...the Northern Premier League have confirmed that we can move kick-off times to 5.30pm to
facilitate live streaming of matches if we prefer, but it is unlikely if our ground capacity is set
e) It is unclear whether revenue from streaming has to be shared with the visiting club

a) Our FA Trophy and FA Cup games have had significantly lower home attendances in recent seasons, so perhaps there is good reason (including the additional funds raised) to experiment with live Saturday streaming, by taking advantage of a later kickoff at 5-30pm;
b) I am far less interested in watching a delayed screened game on a Saturday at 5-30pm, if I have already listened to it on FCUM radio. So if this is others' reactions in the AA, is this perhaps an additional reason to experiment with a later kick off on a Saturday? The Board report refers to up to 2,000 capacity to view broadcasts so assuming streaming some Saturday games at 5-30pm is a goer, it seems there are no technological limitations.
c) It sounds like the club may need to invest some funds for the technology used for streaming. Is this something we, as the AA, might collectively contribute to?

Thoughts?

What about the people who go to the match at 3pm on a Saturday - that's our 'thing' isn't it?

Also you will cut down on the number of volunteers as a 5.30pm KO would mean it would eat into people Saturday evenings.

You would get lower attendances with a 5.30 KO which would be detrimental to the Club and the Team in my opinion.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Streaming Saturday matches next season
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:02 am 

jdkfcuom wrote:

These are:

Thoughts?

Thanks for letting us know the situation jdk.

For me, a regular 5:30 KO would be a killer, I am afraid, as it would be a 2:30AM start here. I don’t know if the club’s position on this remains “unlikely” but if matches were to switch to 5:30 on a regular basis in order for them to be streamed, then I would only be able to enjoy it if there was a repeat streaming at a later time or day. Sadly, I’d miss out on the shared banter of the Match Day Updates.

I would be happy to pay a subscription for streaming even so. For top-of-the-table clashes or play-off matches ( :twisted: ) I’d make the effort to stay up (intravenous coffee), but it wouldn’t be a regular thing. However, I’d be happy to pay a season-long subscription if one were on offer, or pay to help fund the technology.

Best situation for me is live streaming from 3:00PM (which would be midnight here), but I realise that that is probably not going to happen!

Offline Profile